GPOYW – Spring baking edition
(photo courtesy of Bo Lee)
With Easter coming up, I’m resurrecting this chocolate cupcake recipe, donning my Sunday best, and enjoying the sunshine.
Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from the Cupcake Project):
- 1/2 C water
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 1/2 C Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 18 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1 C unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the water, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- In the top half of a double boiler, (I use a do-it-yourself method with a small bowl of chocolate placed in a larger bowl of boiled water, it works exactly the same way.) melt the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Cut the butter into pieces and gradually beat the butter into the chocolate.
- Beat in the hot sugar-water.
- Slowly beat in the eggs and the egg whites one at a time.
- Add in the flour and xanthan gum, beat until the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour the batter 3/4 to the top of lined cupcake tins.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes, or until the middle sets.
- Allow cupcakes to cool entirely before frosting.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz package Neufchatel cream cheese
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups of sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons of raspberry extract
- 1 pint of fresh blackberries, washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer, whip until creamy. Add confectioner’s sugar to butter & cream cheese mixture 1 cup at a time until fully combined. Crush, and strain blackberries, add to mixture. Add extracts, mix until combined. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Decorate and serve with a smile!