Finally getting my feet wet with the whole made-to-order market last week. I had the pleasure of baking a birthday cake for one of my customers from the first Greenpoint Food Market. I whipped up my pineapple-zucchini cake at her (husband’s) request with a ginger-walnut cream cheese frosting. The recipe is posted below, but take note of a few key add-ons:
1) After baking the cake I allowed the layers to cool then removed them from their respective pans, placed them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and put them back in the oven at 350 for another 7 minutes. This is an incredibly moist cake, the extra 7 minutes will give it more stability to stand up to the frosting.
2) Between the two layers I spread a liberal amount of frosting and then a layer of crushed walnuts. Again this was for both taste and to help hold the layers together. I also covered the sides of the cake with crushed walnuts, for decorative and stability purposes.
3) Being that it is Autumn, in lieu of fresh flowers I decorated the cake with thin slices of natural ginger and dried cranberries.
All-in-all it was a success!
Zucchini Pineapple Cake with Walnut Cream Cheese Frosting*
*Recipe is for 1 13”x9” sheet cake, double it for 8” layer cake.
- 1 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1-¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Flaked Coconut
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg, To Taste
- 1 Pinch Ginger
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Sauce
- 2 whole Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups Grated (unpeeled) Zucchini (pat dry between paper towels)
- 1 (20 Oz.) Can Crushed Pineapple In Juice, Drained (reserve for frosting)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
- 8 Ounces Low-fat Cream Cheese, Softened (can Use Full-fat Cream Cheese)
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar, Approx.
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Powdered Ginger
- Splash of Pineapple Juice
- ¾ cup Chopped Walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cake, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and spices in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Combine apple sauce, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated zucchini, and pineapple into flour mixture. Add in a little splash of the pineapple juice for good measure. Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for about 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. To prepare frosting, combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar, xanthan gum, ginger and vanilla just until smooth. Add a splash of pineapple juice and stir in chopped walnuts. Spread frosting over top of cake. You can garnish with chopped walnuts, cranberries, or ginger etc.