Mini Eggnog Cupcakes with Bourbon Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
(Adapted from cupcakeblog)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temp
3 eggs, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup eggnog
1/4 cup bourbon
2 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Flour
1 teaspoon each baking powder and soda
2 teaspoons Xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in eggs until blended.
3. Mix together eggnog, bourbon, and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, Xanthan gum, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
5. Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients into egg mixture mixing until combined.
6. Scoop into lined mini cupcake pan and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
7. Remove from pan, let cool completely.
Eggnog Pastry Cream:
2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Flour
1/2 cup eggnog
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon dark rum
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1. Place flour in a heavy sauce pan, gradually whisk in eggnog until blended and smooth.
2. Add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking until just combined after each addition.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, removing from the heat occasionally to avoid lumps, until thickened. If necessary strain through a metal sieve to remove lumps.
4. Remove from heat, stir in butter, rum and vanilla.
5. Transfer pastry cream to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap, chill for at least 30 minutes.
Bourbon Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons bourbon
2 1/4 packages neufchatel cheese, room temp
3/4 cup butter, room temp
6 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. Heat brown sugar, cream, butter, salt over medium high heat whisking until sugar is dissolved. Cook for another minute.
2. Pour in bourbon and stir to combine. Take off heat and let cool.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until soft.
4. Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat to combine.
5. Add bourbon caramel and beat to combine.
6. Chill for at least 30 minutes
1. Scoop out top-center of cupcakes with small spoon (1/4 teaspoon works perfectly)
2. Fill pastry bag with chilled eggnog cream and pipe into center, be careful not to over-fill
3. Fill separate (or cleaned out) pastry bag with frosting and top mini cupcakes, be careful not to over frost as cupcakes will become top-heavy.